Skip to main content

Last day of my Zambian adventure- Naenda Muzungu (The White is Leaving!)


I know I have kept quiet for a long time but it dawned on me that I only have this little left to enjoy Zambia and my friends, students, work, fun and just live my life here. Also, I had my heart break, tear itself into two, leaving a part in Lusaka.

The past couple of weeks have been more than interesting and I can say that I had an amazing time, I visited the Eastern Province, and stayed there between Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Zambia, admiring the confluence of the Zambezi and Lwangwa, from our lodge on top of a mountaneous plateau. It was breathtaking and I hope I will build my retirement home there, I also plan to move back to Zambia, hopefully in two years, but we will have to wait and see.

I was lucky enough to have the two men I love in Zambia drive me to the airport and that was the best leaving present I could have ever asked for. I will miss everything about my life in Zambia, both the good and the bad, the friendly and the inhumane, the poverty and the richness, the honesty and the corruption, every one of them and so many more make up this beautiful country.

I will apply the same principle my friend Sid applies to goodbies in airports, look at them as a band-aid, short and very painful. Him and Sean asked if I want them to stay more with me until I pass security but I didn't, and they knew why, we were all tearing up by the time 20 minutes passed so it was best for them to leave.

I had a lot of leaving presents that made me realise how treasured I was and am here and how you can make friendships that will last a lifetime in a splitsecond. I cannot wait to see what's next and I feel so much gratitude for my time in Africa! There are many things that I witnessed and learnt, some so cruel and some so heartwarming, all powerful!

I love and hate airports now, they break my heart, but they are such a big part of my life that I can't, don't and won't want to live without them!

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I love about summer

Summer  is a lovely time of year,  you have the long days and with a little luck longer, warmer days and sunshine. Why wouldn't one love summer then!? I was contemplating how much I enjoy this season and how busy the days seem to be, of course the British summer isn't as sunny but there are days when it's warm enough and it doesn't rain. Therefore, here are my 10 reasons for loving summer: 1. The feeling of freedom it gives. I know will fade with time because school will end and when you work you don't have 3 months of summer vacation but for now it feels so good to know you have such a lengthy amount of time off every year. 2. The repeating cycle of big changes preceeded by it, every 4 years I start a new chapter in my book, passing from one school to another, from one city to a new one, so I anxiously wait for these rare and random summers. 3. The wonderful hot weather perfect for all those trips and relaxing walks, though it isn't true for all the

Another year has passed, with ups and downs

Funnily enough, seems like spring is a time for reflection. I always seem to come back to my blogging during this time, even though I think about often and miss it. I was looking at buying a typewriter and having a go at more regular diary blogs. That is for another time though. Since the last time I wrote, a lot has happened. I will start with the passing of my dad, he aged in a year enough for an entire life and unfortunately left us way too early. He was only 54, I left 3 days after my last post last year, on the 8th April, early in the morning after going to the Easter mass and saying goodbye to him, telling him I would be back in May. A week later on the 16th April, he decided it was time, even before my mom called me, I knew it happened and a sharp pain went through me, even 2000 km away, something broke when he left this physical world and he took away with him. That has been probably the most important event of this year for me. I think about him all the time and I miss

New trip and new furry baby added to the family

It's only been 3 months since the last time I wrote anything on here, which by the gaps between my other posts is actually a really short break! I am currently on my way to Singapore, with 2 hours to go and feeling like I might puke, probably the tiredness, jetlag, 13+ hours in a plane and sleep deprivation, or I'm just having a bad day! It's been more than 9 years since I last visited Asia, although I'll only be in Singapore for 3 days with another 3 in Hong Kong before a 14+ flight to London to connect to get back to Scotland, I'm so fortunate and grateful to have this privilege. I do think 10-11 hours is my limit for no sleep flights and should also plan better my arrival times so I get there in the morning, and can sleep on the flight, oh well, maybe next time... The AWS Summit in London was fantastic, and I just wrapped up writing a blog around it actually. It's much more my vibe than re:Invent, and since London is 1 hour away, think I'll take that to L