Skip to main content

Happy New Lockdown... And welcome to 2021!

 So... It's been a while old friend. I guess it's been longer even than before.

These past few days I kept on thinking about this little part of me that lives in here and I realised it's been a long time since I wrote anything creative or of mine. I mean I haven't written anything in here since May 2019, 2 years as it were, and how much has changed since then and in reality how little too.

I'll try to do a recap, since that's what these post are more and more, a way for me to summarize the weird, wonderful and wounds of the time that passed in between writing anything. I think also because I've been on a month long holiday from work, the first I'm a year I have made a commitment to read at least 2-3 books and finish craft projects. I am happy to report I did all of that and more and my mind is a calmer place for it 🥳

Now since May 2019 I've only been home to Romania once, which sounds strange but it will make sense soon. After May I started a new role, working in Tech Centre management and Community management which has been wonderful, organized some kickass South Coast tech meetup colliders at work with over 200 attendees, spoke at 2 tech conferences and a few other events and managed to add another continent to my travel list, America! I was excited to go to GitHub Universe in November 2020, the follow up from the event from my post in May and I'm sure I have a blog somewhere about it. I also visited Glasgow a few times, spent Valentine's day there in a quirky chic flat and having tiramisu in a brilliant traditional cafe down the road from there saw a dear old friend from high school and sized up Scotland to see if it fits. I also traveled to various cities in Germany for a wonderful program called Digital Shapers 2020 and met some awesome people and traveled a bit in the beginning of 2020, up until March.

The last trip in March was a fiasco, there was a storm, huge storm, my flight was rescheduled a few times, cancelled and then I had to leave Karlsruhe in the middle of the night trying to make an early morning flight before the storm struck only to be denied boarding at the gate before take off and being told it's cancelled. This was in Frankfurt and quick thinker that I am, i managed to plan and secure the last tickets on the Eurostar and some German trains out of Germany and back to London. I mean I did enjoy some brief shopping and sushi in the Eurostar terminal in Brussels, it has been a while since I was there but all in all I made it back in time for work on Monday although completely exhausted. 

Little did I know that this specific fiasco was nothing compared to what was to come. 2020 was not going to be anybody's year, except for maybe Covid-19's. 🦠 If you have been living in outer space or maybe not come out for air, it is a global pandemic raging out there and even though we have a few vaccines coming out, we are now in our lockdown numero tres, in the UK.

But wait, you might think 🤔 so what happened since then, surely nothing much. Here my friend you would be wrong, a lot happened and I'm hoping lots more will happen this year, but in the positive array of happenings. For starters, I found applied and got a new role in Public Cloud in our office in Glasgow, Scotland. I have been working remotely since March so onboarding, chats, celebrations, all has happened online on Zoom, our new dearly beloved. In July after the first lockdown ended I magically arranged everything and found a beautiful flat in a small town on the coast of Scotland and moved there with only a suitcase packed half with my monitor and laptop and never looked back, I mean I haven't even managed to get the rest of my stuff here so literally haven't looked back. I also had the luck and brilliant idea to take the bus up to Glasgow, a 15 hours trip... Which i won't repeat any time soon but I made it safe not sorry and even managed to book a hotel room for a night in the most difficult of times when no one wanted to sell me one, and avoided sleeping in central station until the Monday when I could pick up my keys. 😉 Little wins!

I also finished my taught and dissertation parts of my MSc so, hopefully, by July 2021 I will be graduating with a distinction in Computers Science. I knitted a unicorn, learnt how to cross-stitch,  embroider and do calligraphy, I have talked to a lot of friends and reconnected, I have volunteered and made little acts of kindness for neighbours, strangers, loved ones, friends and family, near and far, I have laughed and cried, I have played with my nephew through a screen and watched him grow, I spent Christmas and New Year alone only in body not in spirit, because video calling saved the day and I had the most amazing visitors I could ask for on Christmas Eve 🎄❤️ I missed my dad as I do every day but hoped he's closer now in this peaceful solitude enforced upon us and appreciate more the things that truly make me happy and at peace. 

I'm sure I've missed a lot of things but really since March 2020 to now it's not been all that interesting, most of us have just coped and made it through, doing our best to not unravel and that's enough. To me at least. I look forward to this new year with renewed hope that I will be a good partner, sister, daughter, auntie, friend, mentor, colleague, unicorn and all the other roles I play everyday of my life because that's what will matter to me. I have lots of plans and lots of ideas but we'll just need to see how it all works out, for now we're in lockdown again and that's okay too. Until we won't be I'll keep moving forward and dream of the days when we can hug again and I can see my family and friends again 😊. 


Love and light always xx




Popular posts from this blog

10 things I love about summer

Summer  is a lovely time of year,  you have the long days and with a little luck longer, warmer days and sunshine. Why wouldn't one love summer then!? I was contemplating how much I enjoy this season and how busy the days seem to be, of course the British summer isn't as sunny but there are days when it's warm enough and it doesn't rain. Therefore, here are my 10 reasons for loving summer: 1. The feeling of freedom it gives. I know will fade with time because school will end and when you work you don't have 3 months of summer vacation but for now it feels so good to know you have such a lengthy amount of time off every year. 2. The repeating cycle of big changes preceeded by it, every 4 years I start a new chapter in my book, passing from one school to another, from one city to a new one, so I anxiously wait for these rare and random summers. 3. The wonderful hot weather perfect for all those trips and relaxing walks, though it isn't true for all the

Another year has passed, with ups and downs

Funnily enough, seems like spring is a time for reflection. I always seem to come back to my blogging during this time, even though I think about often and miss it. I was looking at buying a typewriter and having a go at more regular diary blogs. That is for another time though. Since the last time I wrote, a lot has happened. I will start with the passing of my dad, he aged in a year enough for an entire life and unfortunately left us way too early. He was only 54, I left 3 days after my last post last year, on the 8th April, early in the morning after going to the Easter mass and saying goodbye to him, telling him I would be back in May. A week later on the 16th April, he decided it was time, even before my mom called me, I knew it happened and a sharp pain went through me, even 2000 km away, something broke when he left this physical world and he took away with him. That has been probably the most important event of this year for me. I think about him all the time and I miss

Day 17 in Zambia- Chikumbuso again and the Southern Sun Ridgeway Hotel

Yesterday was an interesting day as I got to go back to Chikumbuso and we went through all the projects identified at the previous visit, therefore, we moved on into making a clear list with items needed and then to assigning who will get the quotes, the project is progressing and hopefully, soon enough we will be able to move forward and start writing the project plan, in order to have it approved by the RI Foundation. I am back at marking essays and it is wearing me out a little, but today I had a more relaxed day as I couldn't make it to Chilenje and had to postpone it for tomorrow. Did go and do some shopping and have a lovely lunch with Sid. We went for the Southern Sun Ridgeway Hotel as he wanted a burger and they make some pretty darn good ones, as I got a taste of his. I went for a mediterranean lunch with a toasted roasted veg and humous sandwich, that was simply delicious. While we were eating, we sat on the terrace and there was a very nice artificial lake, that had,